Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

School Culture: A Mindset. (part 1)


One of the things that I have been so dissatisfied with this year is our building culture.  Once I identify any problem, I find it very hard to let that problem escape from my mind without having developed and/or acted upon a solution.  My latest discovery has always been on my mind, but it has continued to become clearer and clearer with each passing day and each conversation that I have with students at our school. 
It sure isn’t groundbreaking whatsoever, but what I have realized is that all of my solutions I’ve tried or thought of over the past few months will never matter unless our students begin to view school as an opportunity for themselves, not as a chore they must do to make a teacher happy.  Our culture reflects their current attitude of school as an obligation, not as an opportunity (there are definitely bright spots, don’t get me wrong, but a few bright spots aren’t enough).
I know what you’re thinking… “how is this knucklehead just now realizing this?”  Well, I’m not, I really believe it is something that every educator already knows, but I believe it is a message that gets lost as students maneuver through their day, teachers rush to complete the curriculum, parents go off to work and cart their kids around to events, and administrators attempt to deal with all of the different challenges that present themselves on a daily basis.  School is so packed with requirements and standards and objectives and __(insert here)______ that I believe we forget sometimes to stop and take a look around and remember why we are where we are. 
Every so often I’ll randomly as a student something to the tune of, “why are you here or what do you come to school for?”  Rarely, if ever, do I get a response of “for me.”
I truly believe that this is a message that needs to begin with each staff member.  If there is ever a moment in your lesson where you realize these kids are doing something for you, not for themselves, STOP!!!  Don’t go any further until you help the students realize the benefit of the lesson for them.  Help them apply your message to their lives, and do not move on until the students know that they are learning or working for themselves, not for you.  And it cannot just be the teachers, it is a message that needs to be echoed everywhere; the office, the halls, the bus, at home. 
When students come to school equipped with the mindset that school is for them, learning will exponentially increase, and the culture will be one of excitement and opportunity, not one of lethargy and obligation. 
As I wrote this I was reminded of a quote from the movie Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: 
“Life moves pretty fast.  If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
If we don’t stop, look around, and be certain our students have the proper mindset, they’ll miss everything we have to say, and more importantly, they’ll miss the opportunity to invest in themselves for four of the best years of their lives. 
Take care,
Coach Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment