Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Discovering Successes


Change often leads to a certain level of frustration.  As I have communicated in previous posts, the change in culture that I am trying to create has been accompanied by many frustrating realizations and hardships.  What I don’t want to happen throughout this journey is to have all of the successes remain in the classroom while the frustrations are projected to the world.   So, I want to make sure I share successes as they come, just as I do those tough moments. 
Each day in this process I have had a handful of students have an “ah ha” moment.  Whether it was during a one on one meeting, or while collaborating with peers, students are finally starting to grasp the concept of using their creative side to convey a message in a thoughtful and interesting way. 
I have frustrated many students when they’ve told me they want to do a power point or a poster, and I’ve replied with “those are visual aids, not projects” or “isn’t a poster just a re-creation of a website that I could google in less time than it takes me to look at your poster?”  But, I’ve been so proud to see the look of excitement on their faces when they’ve returned to their spaces, thought it over, and have come hurrying to report that they have succeeded in coming up with an idea that is both interesting and informative. 
This week has been wonderful to see students creating these projects with such focus.  I’d share some of the projects, but there are too many great creations happening that I wouldn’t want to single any out.  I had a student today during 9th period that came in, and before the bell could ring asked “can we go ahead and get started?”   I didn’t hear that once during the first semester, what a cool moment!
I am eager to share these projects with you.  They are due next week and we will be loading them up to our class website.  There are a lot of finishing touches to both the projects and the website construction, and I cannot wait to turn the frustrations that will appear into successes in the coming week. 
Take care,
Coach Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment