Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What is something that you've always wondered?


One thing that I learned from my two years of elementary teaching experience is that kids are unbelievably curious (yes, understatement).  I would get a bit frustrated when I’d be giving directions to my PE class and this would happen:
Me:  So, at station number two we are going to (student hand goes up with urgency, so I pause)… Yes, you have a question?
2nd grader X:  Why is that tennis ball stuck to the ceiling?

In my head I’m furious.  I went against rule #1 of teaching elementary kids and that is to always finish your thoughts before letting a student interrupt because most of the time the question will not be on topic.  As a result, the whole class is laughing, pointing, forgetting what I had already said, and in most cases laying down, spinning around on their backs having the time of their lives.  It is a minimum of 3 minutes to get them back focused and even then 5 or 6 kids are now looking at other areas of the ceiling trying to be the next one to find a hidden treasure to make the class laugh. 
When do students lose this level of curiosity and wonder?  Sure it made me frustrated, but I had to embrace it and laugh it off or else I’d go nuts.  Sir Ken Robinson, in his TED talk titled “Schools Kill Creativity,” provides fabulous insight on the decline of wonder and creativity as children progress through school. 
I showed this video to my class on day number 1 of the semester and asked them to react.  I didn’t want a summary.  I asked students to state what they agreed with or disagreed with, what they found interesting, or simply what they thought of during the video.  There are slow points of the video, but for the most part, I think the video assisted in getting my students’ attention enough to set up the culture of my room as one that welcomes the creativity that they possess, but may have let go of in recent years.
Their homework was to spend the next 23 hours thinking of “something you’ve always wondered.”  It could be anything, not just something that directly relates to health class, then write it down and bring it with them to class to begin day 2. 
I never expected this to be one of the more difficult assignments I handed out.  I was amazed at the number of students who came back with nothing, an “I don’t know,” or flat out had to say to me “can you just tell me what to do?”  (you don’t think there isn’t an entire post coming on that last statement do you? Yes, yes there is!)
The students were asked to take their question and find the answer, as well as additional information that would support their answer and better educate their classmates. 
The students had now answered their own question, but unlike many experiences they’ve had in learning before, it wasn’t just about them and this one question.  We had to make sure that the information obtained through research was interesting to the audience to which it will be presented.  So, on day 3, the students got feedback from their peers in the class (the eventual audience) by sharing what they had found, and asking their peers what they found interesting, and what different angles they’d be interested in discovering about the topic.  Some students learned the hard way that asking just their friends brought little to no useful feedback.  The students that benefitted were those who sought out people they didn’t know and/ or people that they knew would give constructive criticism. 
Day 4 was devoted to taking feedback and redesigning what they would tell the class during their 60-90 second presentation.  They may have needed to seek out additional information, or they may have needed to just be certain they worded things in a way that was interesting to their peers.  Devoting an entire day to refining and practicing set the expectations high for the presentations tomorrow.
Friday brought presentations and I was pleased with the results.  While self-evaluating many students noted that they could’ve worked harder, or that they now know that what they chose wasn’t very interesting (learning!).  A few presentations were great, but what I was most pleased about was the fact that the students obviously learned, and the process of the week opened their eyes to the new way of thinking that I am expecting.  As I told them afterwards, “regardless of whether or not your speaking skills were great, everyone could tell if your information was great and whether or not you learned something.” 
Going forward, it is that final thought that I’ll be using as an example.  For the first assignment I required them to do a speech (time constraints of the week).  For the remaining units, I am asking the students to do what they are best at, and to create a project that showcases those skills.  If they are great at getting information but not at public speaking they may not have given the best presentation.  Since the students can now create a project that showcases their skills, they can continue to be great at getting information and select what they are best at as a means of communicating what they have learned. 
“Do what you do best.  Better.” 
Take care,
Coach Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment