Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

TGIF Syndrome


In the past month or so, I have finished reading Steve Farber’s The Radical Leap, and I am currently halfway through Jon Gordon’s Training Camp.  Reading these books about extreme leadership, passion, and excellence, combined with a complete overhaul of my classroom philosophy, has opened my eyes to a number of things that now bother me more than they probably should.  The “TGIF syndrome” is one that I see way too often… 
One of the main things that I attempt to encourage my students to do is to “do something that you love, pursue a passion, and to always come to school for yourself, not for your teacher or administrator.”  I see students on a daily basis that have no motivation to improve in any way, shape, or form.  They are trying to just get by these next few years so that they can graduate and… (I end the sentence there because these are the students that either don’t know what they will do, or have a completely skewed vision of what it takes to get where they want to go). 
Fridays motivate me.  Occasionally Thursdays do too, and in some severe cases, the previous Sunday motivates me to continue encouraging students to pursue a passion and to find something they love to do.  I mostly find the motivation on social media from friends, peers, colleagues, and complete strangers in the form of the “TGIF syndrome.”
Disclaimer:  I’m not suggesting I’m innocent of ever wanting to get through a day or week.  The “TGIF syndrome” refers to people who consistently take part in the activity of grinding out their weeks only for the weekend.   
The “TGIF syndrome” is present in that person that posts the traditional “TGIF” or “come on weekend” or “ugh, tomorrow’s Monday” or “how can it only be Wednesday” and so on and so forth.  People that publicly announce their disgust for their chosen work that just cannot wait to get to the weekend. 
Ever since I have made each day at work about what I love, interaction with people, I have removed any trace of that mentality from my thinking.  I love spending time with my family on the weekend like anyone else, but to wake up each day not wanting to go to work so badly that a public announcement of your misery is necessary is no way to live. 
I write this Today to encourage colleagues, friends, and students to find something that you love to do to call a profession.  Don’t just do things to get by.  If you wake up each day and find that the “TGIF syndrome” is real, begin to find what you love in your work and make that a focus, or begin to sketch out a plan to pursue another path.  Don’t get through 5 days each week just to enjoy 2.  Enjoy all 7!
I strongly recommend both of the books that I mentioned in the opening paragraph to anyone, especially those caught up in the “TGIF syndrome.”  They both have changed the way I view my self, my profession, and most importantly my time.  I hope that everyone who reads this post is curious enough to at least examine their purpose.  If you need motivation, read the books.  If you have the motivation, find that positive energy that you get from your life and work, and focus on it, pass it on daily, and let the snowball effect take over in both your personal and professional life.
Take care,
Coach Mo

***A special thanks to my good friend, Mike McDonough, who recommended both books to me.  I am glad I finally took his advice to become a “LEAPer,” even though I resisted it for a couple of years.  What a mistake!***

2 comments:

  1. Another great post Coach! Thanks for the book recommendations as well. Added them to my list.
    The TGIF syndrome is especially prevelant this time of the year with some students and staff. You are exactly right about finding your passion. Once found everyday is a pleasure! Keep encouraging your students. You may not see it pay off today, but I'm sure you will have students return down the road and thank you for your passion.
    Finish strong Coach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Bill! I have students having "aha" moments each and every day. It is very rewarding! Read 'The Radical Leap' the book is a life-changer!

    ReplyDelete