Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

School Culture Part 2: Pursue Your Passion


If you missed part 1 click here- School Culture: A Mindset
Two weeks ago I was in my classroom having one-on-one meetings with my students.  This is a daily routine for me, but something amazing was happening as the students and I reviewed their projects that they had just completed.   These particular meetings had a phrase in them that I hadn’t heard all that much in my teaching career:  “thank you.”
Students were thanking me for my class.  I’ll give you a moment to let that sink in….
 Yes, thanking me. 
As we discussed their projects, reviewed their methods of research, and talked about their struggles and successes, I was hearing things such as-
“I learned so much because I actually wanted to learn this” and “I’m so happy that we get to pick our topics” and “I’ve been waiting for this class my entire school career, finally I get to do something relevant to my life.” 
The common theme was that students were learning about topics that they were interested in, and were using methods of presentation that they were good at or passionate about.  This wasn’t just a free-for-all.  Students had to select a topic related to our unit to use as the base for their research with the goal of satisfying the unit objectives.  Then, they could use whatever means they wished to communicate their learning. 
Fast forward to the next period of the day.  I was eating my lunch reflecting upon the theme I mentioned above.  I was putting pieces of a puzzle together as I took what these students had said to me and connected them to previous conversations.  These were primarily upper classmen that had the insight of real-world connections, doing things they loved, and not wasting their time.  A few had communicated to me that they already know what they want to do with their lives, and a few had absolutely no clue what they want to do. 
Then an idea hit me.  I quickly finished my sandwich and left for the front office.  Luckily our building principal was in his office and he was gracious enough to make time for me on the spot.  I pitched to him my new idea and made it clear that I hadn’t really thought it out yet, but I wanted to present the idea even if there was no chance of it happening.  My idea was to teach a new course offering called “pursue your passion.”  My description went something like this…
We have students that know what they want to do with their life and don’t get to practice it each day.  We have students that don’t know what they want to do with their life, but never get to attempt things that may lead them to discovering their purpose without fear of a grade.  I’d like to teach a course that isn’t graded, but is required.  Students would come in everyday and my class would accomplish a number of things…
1.  Students would get to do what they love- too many people get to age 25 or 30 and are constantly told to pursue their passion only to realize that there isn’t much of a future within that passion.  Students would find out what they can do with that passion at a younger age.  By doing this, students also begin to develop that mindset that school is for them (see part 1) and this mindset would be discussed daily so that they may carry it over into other classes. 
2.  Students would get to try new things- students would be challenged to fail.  Fail because they attempted new things, or tried out a project that they never thought they could do.  Students would learn through the failure, and develop new skill sets that they can carry over into their life and also into other courses.  One thing I have discovered in my classroom this past nine weeks is that many students resort to a poster board, a paper, or power point not because it is the easiest thing, but because they don’t know what else to do.  Trying new methods of project presentation would open their minds to alternative ways of skill building and learning. 
3.  Students would develop an appreciation for what school has to offer- I mentioned this in #1, but the goal of the course would be to give students direction in their life.  I wouldn’t want freshman and sophomores to choose their future profession, but I would hope that by trying many types of things in my class they would at least have a base understanding of what is out there.  This would bring us back to the whole goal of creating that mindset within the student that they are at school for themselves, and for the reason of gaining skills and knowledge that they can use to make themselves better in any area of their life that they wish.  Our students need to come to school looking to get better, not looking to satisfy the teacher. 
I could go on and on with ideas for the course, but as I mentioned in #3, it all comes back to creating the culture that school is for the student, not for the teacher’s requirements.  I realize that my course is a long shot at best, but I’d love for teachers to consider taking some of its components into consideration in their own courses. 
Allow students to have a choice, allow them to pursue the things that they love, encourage them to fail by trying something new, learn from failure, apply the concepts to the real world, and so on. 
My principal was a great listener to my course pitch.  He agreed with most of what I had to say, and echoed my desire to have educators everywhere adopt some of the mindset that my course would foster.  I thanked him for listening, just as my students thanked me for my current course.  I am not sure what will come of it, but I hope that because I am sharing my thoughts with him, and sharing my thoughts through my blog, that small changes will be made in many classrooms that create a better culture and learning environment for our students.
Take care,
Coach Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment