Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Get Some New Shoes and Leave Tracks


Towards the end of last school year, I made the choice to accept a position at the middle school.  I was going to move from teaching at the high school, and I heard this phrase a number of times: “______ will have big shoes to fill.”  Some folks were referring to me filling the shoes of the former middle school teacher, and some were referring to the person filling my position. 
Little did I know that I’d be moving much further than just down a grade level or two, I’d be accepting a position to teach physical education in another district, and now as I reflect on my first 8 days of teaching at Licking Heights Central Middle School, I cannot help but think back to where I came from. 
Those that have followed my blog for the past 6 months or so realize that I had really tapped into my passion for what I do on a daily basis.  I was seeing a transformation of myself as a professional, and my students as learners and individuals.  The methods that I was trying in my classroom were leading to exciting discoveries and I loved the interaction that I got to have with my students each and every day.  It was a difficult decision to move on with my career, but for a number of reasons, I felt it was the best decision for me.  I constantly tell the students that “this is your education,” and “make sure you do things for you, not for me,” and what’s it say about me if I didn’t follow my own advice?
Anyway, as all of the movement was unfolding and I was hearing the line about having big shoes to fill, I was both proud and hesitant.  Proud because I was happy that folks felt that I’d made a difference, and that I was actually leaving a mark.   But hesitant because I don’t want to fill someone else’s shoes, nor do I want them to fill mine.  I want a brand new pair!!!  (I know, a bit cheesy, but stay with me)
What I hope that I left at Delaware are tracks.  Tracks that allow my replacement to see where I had been and the progress that I made.  Tracks that created a trail on which the next teacher can stand on and blaze a new path.  Tracks that told stories and provided insight to successes and failures that I had that the next teacher can improve upon and learn from.  Tracks that weren’t just footprints on a walkway, but were fresh imprints on a never before taken path. 
Just filling out shoes sounds an awful lot like just doing the minimum, or just getting by.  My goal for this school year, and my challenge to my fellow educators is to not just fill shoes.  Whether it is someone else’s pair, or your own pair from last school year… Get new shoes, blaze a new trail, leave tracks, and wear out the shoes in the process.  Don’t fall into the trap of “this is how I/ we’ve always done it.” 
I am excited to report that my first 8 days at Central were wonderful.  My students are respectful, attentive, and engaged.  I am looking forward to this year, and looking forward to sharing the experiences I encounter along this new trail. 
Educators, go get yourself some new shoes, you deserve it, and so do the kids!  
“Do what you love in the service of those who love what you do!” - Steve Farber
Take care,
Coach Mo

1 comment:

  1. Love this analogy Scott!
    We should all buy a new pair of shoes at least once per year.
    I enjoy your posts and look forward to following your journey in the middle school ranks.

    ReplyDelete